Research and evaluation
Well London’s research and evaluation framework designed by University of East London requires that a consistent and systematic process be used to select the target area in each borough.
To allow for a standardised approach all the Well London areas were selected from Lower Super Output Areas (LSOAs). These are standard mapping areas used by the Office of National Statistics (ONS). LSOAs each have 1500 to 2000 residents. Four to eight LSOAs make up a council ward. For more information visit the ONS web site.
To select the areas we took the following steps:
- Ranked all London LSOAs by Index of Multiple Deprivation
- Selected those with IMD in the worst 11%
- Selected boroughs with at least four LSOAs
- Primary care trust and local authorities shortlisted two from these four LSOAs that would most benefit
- Randomly selected which the final two will be the intervention LSOA and which will be the control
Download Professor Adrian Renton’s presentation for a fuller explanation.